Sunday, July 10, 2011



Ms. Ketki Doshi Sanghvi is a young activist dedicated to the cause of Child Sexual Abuse and had worked with FACSE (Forum for Child Sexual Exploitation) in Mumbai for several years. I referred my initial illustration design concepts to her, and gradually refined them under her guidance.

She has been not only actively dealing with cases of CSA, but also dedicating herself to building knowledge and spreading awareness on the subject. Interaction with her not only validated my selected approach(communicating to parents), but also did away with some of my presumptions. In conversation with Ketki, some of the salient points that emerged were:

1. Communication must be clear and unpretentious. No beating around the bush

2. The core issue is lack of awareness in society.

3. Only targeting mothers (or even keeping it limited to parents), may not work in all cases. The communication must be flexible for the understanding of any caregiver.

4. The illustrations are grossly unclear.

5. In the model of the campaign, Medical Practitioners and Hospitals was an important link that was overlooked. She emphasized the importance of their role in this issue.

6. PREVENTIVE EDUCATION + AWARENESS RAISING + KNOWLEDGE BUILDING
are the key points to be addressed while dealing with this subject.

Ketki welcomed the idea of designing a booklet for parents, but she however pointed out the limitations of the medium. She shared with me several posters designed by art students and some by advertising agencies. It was both an opportunity and challenge that the medium I had chosen was a first of its kind, to the best of my knowledge.

Ketki encouraged me to develop the content, as I had a clear idea of the book — its voice, look and feel. She suggested the essential things to be included in the content, based on which, I created the following structure:
• Introduction to the subject
• Safe and unsafe touches, and educating the child distinguish
• Forms of CSA
• Short term and long term effects
• Symptoms
• Myths about abusers, and CSA can happen within the home or by persons of trust
• Why children keep quiet
• Listening and giving confidence to the child

She provided her resources for my reference, and I was amazed to find among them the first ever resource book on the subject, which I had received from Mr. Tarun Deep Girdher; while the first was in Hindi, this was a Marathi translated copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment